ASTAXANTHIN- A SUPER ANTIOXIDANT
- By: Tiana Rodrigues / Comments : 0
Astaxanthin is a reddish pigment that belongs to a group of chemicals called carotenoids and constitutes the highest value product derived by microalgae. The freshwater green microalgal strain Haematococcus pluvialis is the richest source for the production of astaxanthin. When the algae is stressed by lack of nutrients, increased salinity, or excessive sunshine, it creates astaxanthin. Animals who feed on the algae, such as salmon, red trout, red sea bream, flamingos, and crustaceans (i.e. shrimp, krill, crab, lobster, and crayfish), subsequently reflect the red-orange astaxanthin pigmentation to various degrees.
What makes Astaxanthin different from other Antioxidants?
Astaxanthin is considered to be the purest form of antioxidant. Unlike other antioxidants that lose their strength due to extreme stress, Astaxanthin on the other side is a pure antioxidant which retains it’s antioxidant properties and improves the muscle function and enhances the blood flow thereby reducing anxiety and stress levels considerably. In addition, BodyFirst® Astaxanthin is proved to be 110 times stronger than Vitamin E, 560 times stronger than Green tea catechins, 800 times stronger than CoQ 10 and 6000 times stronger than Vitamin C. Astaxanthin has been used safely by itself in doses of 4 to 40 mg daily for up to 12 weeks, or 12 mg daily for 6 months.
What are the advantages of Astaxanthin?
The main work of an antioxidant is to protect cells from dying because of oxidation. However, some antioxidants when they undergo an attack from many free radicals can get converted to pro-oxidants that increase oxidative stress. However, studies have shown that astaxanthin safety takes care of the free radicals without converting to a pro-oxidant, which is why astaxanthin is classified as a pure antioxidant.
- Immunity - Like other parts of the body, the immune system functions better when protected. Natural astaxanthin has a strong ability to both balance and strengthen the immune system, therefore improving its ability to defend the body while also helping to suppress the overactive immune responses that create unwanted inflammation. Immune cells are particularly sensitive to oxidative stress; an increase in oxidative stress inhibits the response of the immune system. Natural astaxanthin seems to improve the immune response by increasing the number of antibody producing cells. Natural astaxanthin enhances antibody production, and may also protect immune cells against oxidative stress and membrane damage.
- Eye health - There is growing awareness of the health implications of overexposure to blue light from digital devices. Studies have suggested that high-energy blue light can contribute to eye fatigue and other serious diseases such as macular degeneration. Antioxidants (carotenoids) have a long history of use in eye health products e.g. in the suppression of age-related macular degeneration. Astaxanthin supplementation can improve eye health in many different ways as the following scientific findings demonstrate: Improved blood flow in capillaries in the eye, Improved accommodation amplitude, Improved accommodation speed in subjects with eye fatigue and Increased critical flicker fusion and sharper visual sensation.
- Skin health - Astaxanthin is a game changer in the world of high-performance, natural skincare. Astaxanthin has been shown in clinical studies to increase skin moisture, moisture retention, elasticity, as well as promote skin smoothness, decreasing fine lines and wrinkles. It has incredible UV-blocking properties, which helps to assist the skin in protecting itself against sun-related damage. Since Astaxanthin can neutralise multiple free radicals at once, it can protect your skin from oxidation, inflammation and damage.
- Joint health - For those suffering with Osteoporosis and arthritis Astaxanthin can not only relieve pain thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties but it can also slow down bone deterioration. For those suffering with these conditions an Astaxanthin supplement can help create a better life.
- Brain health - There have been almost 100 studies demonstrating that astaxanthin supports the brain in a variety of ways. It has been proved that Astaxanthin shows efficacy for age-related decline in cognitive and psychomotor functions in subjects with age-related forgetfulness. In addition it showed potential to improve cognitive function and can help people prevent neurodegeneration as they get older.
- Due to its ability to fight free radicals, astaxanthin can play an important role in support of cardiovascular health. It’s antioxidative and anti-inflammatory properties can significantly shorten blood transit times. Several studies have also indicated its potential to lower blood pressure.
Astaxanthin is one antioxidant that can outpower and be a single solution to most health issues caused due to inflammation.
You must be logged in to post a comment.
click here to log in